This is a detailed article on all you need to know about glass baby bottles in 2019.
When it comes to bottle-feeding a baby, finding the right bottle may be a daunting task. Today there are many types of baby bottles ranging from plastic, disposable to glass baby bottles. If you need a container that is long-lasting and hygienic, a glass bottle can be ideal for your baby.
One of the latest researches shows that “the market for glass baby bottles will reach about 3 billion dollars by 2021, with a growth rate of about 7% compared to 2017.” With such a growth rate, glass baby bottles are increasingly prevailing in the global market while many new parents are beginning to understand their benefits.
In this article, we are going to look at the differences between plastic and glass baby bottles, their pros and cons, and how to clean the glass baby bottles.
Glass Baby Bottles vs. Plastic Baby Bottles
Glass baby bottles have been in use for quite a long time. However, their fragility and heavyweight necessitated the development of plastic bottles which are cheaper, lighter and less fragile. That rendered the glass baby bottles almost obsolete.
Later on, there were reports that plastic baby bottles had traces of bisphenol A (BPA) that would have affected the development of babies. As a result, most parents sought for glass baby bottles that had no chemicals.
Some new parents still prefer using plastic baby bottles because they are relatively cheap and unbreakable. However, some of the drawbacks of the plastic baby bottles are that they are hard to clean, less durable, and cannot be sanitized at high temperatures.
Glass baby bottles, on the other hand, are easy to clean, durable, and can be sterilized at higher temperatures. However, parents who don’t love glass bottles may feed their babies using disposable baby bottles which are reusable and can be cleaned easily.
Pros and Cons of Glass Baby Bottles
- Lacks Chemicals: Glass baby bottles are safe because they are free of harmful chemicals that may endanger your baby’s health. The bottles are made of Silica and not BPA as in some plastic baby bottles.
- More Durable: Glass baby bottles are more durable than plastic baby bottles. They do not wear out quickly when washed, sterilized, or scrubbed.
- Stainless: Unlike plastic bottles, glass baby bottles do not stain. Also, fewer fats are likely to stick on the sides of the glass bottle.
- Stable in High Temperatures: Glass baby bottles can be heated in higher temperatures without any damage. No toxins are released when you boil the glass bottles. However, plastic baby bottles can leach out chemicals and be destroyed when heated under higher temperatures.
- Eco-friendly: Glass baby bottles are durable and therefore you don’t have to replace them frequently like in plastic containers. The glass bottles are consequently friendly to the environment.
- Odorless: Glass baby bottles have no smell like the new plastic baby bottles. Some parents find it hard to get used to the lousy plastic smell and taste.
- Heavy Weight: Glass baby bottles weigh more than the plastic bottles. As a parent, you may not have a problem with that. However, your baby may not hold the glass bottle for long when self-feeding.
- Breakable: Glass baby bottles have higher risks of breaking than the plastic ones if they fall on a hard floor. However, some glass bottles are coated with silicone to prevent them from shattering when they drop, but can still break.
- Relatively Expensive: Glass baby bottles are generally more expensive than their plastic counterparts. However, they can be cheaper in the long run because you will not need replacements every time.
You can also read Best Feeder Bottles: Understanding the Basics
How to Clean Glass Baby Bottles
Cleaning your baby’s feeding bottle is the best way of keeping the baby healthy. There are many ways of cleaning your baby’s bottles depending on the material of the container. For instance, sterilizing by hot water is ideal for glass bottles and not plastic bottles.
Now, let’s delve a bit deeper into some common ways you can use to clean your baby’s feeding bottle.
Washing the glass baby bottles, with clean water, immediately after feeding is essential for your baby’s health. Unwashed baby bottles provide an environment that stimulates the growth of bacteria.
To wash the glass baby bottles, you need to assemble all the necessary washing tools such as bottlebrush, soap, and clean water. Here are the steps to follow when washing the glass baby bottles.
- Dissemble the glass bottle into several parts as indicated in the bottle’s manual. Such components include the bottle, bottle teats, and lids
- Remove the milk traces from the bottle through rinsing
- Soak all the bottle parts in hot water with detergent
- Using the bottle brush, scrub the bottle parts thoroughly to remove milk traces
- Rinse off the cleaned bottle parts using clean water
- Place the rinsed bottle parts on a clean surface and leave them to air dry
Unlike in traditional cleaning, sterilizing the glass bottles is an excellent way of removing germs that cannot be removed by washing. When using the glass baby bottle for the first time, you ought to sterilize it to kill all the bacteria.
There are numerous ways of sterilizing glass baby bottles. Such methods include;
- Sterilizing in a boiling water
- Sterilizing in a microwave
- Sterilization using an electric steam
- Sterilization by chemicals.
However, most new parents use the boiling technique because it is relatively cheaper than the rest.
How to Sterilize Glass Baby Bottles by Boiling
Boiling is an effective way of killing bacteria present in the glass baby bottles.
- Place all the glass bottle parts in a saucepan filled with water. Ensure that all the materials are submerged in the water
- Boil the water containing the equipment for about five minutes
- Stop the boiling and allow the hot water with the materials to cool
- Using your washed hands, remove the bottle parts from the water and shake to remove water
- Place the equipment on a clean, dry surface and allow it to air dry
Once the glass baby bottle is sterilized, you can fill it with milk. But if you are planning to use the bottle later, you can store it in a clean, dry cupboard.
Although glass baby bottles are breakable and heavyweight, their benefits are worth it. The glass bottle can last for a long time when you take good care of it. Additionally, the glass bottles are good for your baby’s health because they can be cleaned easily and do not contain any harmful chemicals like in some plastic baby bottles.
You can also read 2 Month Old Baby Feeding Schedule: Understanding the Basics